Professor in Midwifery
Health and Medical,Medicine and Dentistry,Nursing
Short info about job
Company: Oxford Brookes University
Department: Faculty of Health and Life Sciences
Salary: £60,410 to £81,129 depending on experience
Hours: Full Time
Contract type: Permanent
Type / Role: Academic or Research
Phone: +44-1489 8154022
Fax: +44-1227 5544494
Detail information about job Professor in Midwifery. Terms and conditions vacancy
Full Time, Permanent - Academic
Oxford Brookes University is seeking to appoint a Professor of Midwifery, to provide leadership in the development of Midwifery research across both, clinical and academic environments. The post is jointly funded by the Faculty of Health and Life Sciences, Oxford Brookes University, and Oxford University Health Foundation Trust (OUHT). The post-holder will be employed by Oxford Brookes University within the new Department of Midwifery, Community and Public Health and will have a link role reporting to the Director of Womens Health at the OUHT.
This is an exciting opportunity to take a leading role in developing and leading research in midwifery, and more broadly in womens health, within a dynamic and exciting partnership that sits under the umbrella of the Oxford Academic Health Science Centre, which fosters world-leading translational research.
The role within OUHT will have a strong clinical element. The post holder will be expected to support the midwifery-led care service and work with the Head of Midwifery to develop services linked to the national agenda around Better Births. Working closely with the Consultant Midwife in the care and support of women who are seen in the Mode of Birth Clinic will be key.
You will be required:
- To provide leadership for Midwifery research, practice and scholarly activity within the Oxford Institute of Nursing, Midwifery & Allied Health Research (OxINMAHR) and the Department of Midwifery, Community & Public Health, which both sit within the newly created Oxford School of Nursing & Midwifery
- To work closely with colleagues in the Department, OxINMAHR and OUHFT maternity services in the development of research-based policy and practice
- To undertake academic and academic related responsibilities including teaching and research in the field of Midwifery Practice
- To develop and lead a research programme in an area of Midwifery Practice that complements and helps develop existing research programmes within OxINMAHR, as well as establish and take forward new areas
- To foster collaborative research with midwives, nurses and Allied Health (AH) professionals based in OUHFT, the University of Oxford and the Thames Valley, helping to build research capability and capacity
- Contribute to teaching within the Department and OUHFT. Undertake supervision of undergraduate, postgraduate (taught) and research students.
You should have:
- Qualifications required for post: Relevant UG degree, PhD and relevant professional qualification, including qualifications appropriate to the practice midwifery in a recognized jurisdiction
- Significant experience as an independent researcher and in providing leadership for research activities in the field of Midwifery Practice (including practice pedagogy and/or patient/carer engagement)
- Experience of disseminating research findings through high quality publications
- Success in applying for major sources of external funding and in collaborating with a broad range of clinical-based health professional researchers
- Experience of teaching in HE, clinical practice and in the supervision of research students.
For informal discussion, please contact Debra Jackson, Professor in Nursing, OxINMAHR, on 01865 482736 and/or Rosalie Wright, Senior Midwifery Manager, Oxford Health Foundation Trust, on 01865 857828.
Interview date: 20 October 2017
Please note: the successful applicant will be subject to a background disclosure check by the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) before any appointment can be confirmed.