Short info about job
Company: University of the West of England, Bristol
Department: IT Services
Salary: £28,452 to £32,004 per annum
Hours: Full Time
Contract type: Permanent
Type / Role: Professional or Managerial
Phone: +44-1357 9510284
Fax: +44-1427 6428344
Detail information about job Engineer (Infrastructure). Terms and conditions vacancy
We are seeking an engineer to join the IT Operations Infrastructure team, provide best practice technical expertise in the support and management of the University’s machine rooms and associated appliances, the comms rooms, and network infrastructure.
IT Operations Infrastructure team is a multi-disciplined team of engineers developing and maintaining the technology that underpins the systems that the University needs to operate and provide quality services for students and staff.
The successful candidate will have experience of IT Infrastructure, including a basic understanding of systems such as electrical circuits, UPS, generators, and machine room cooling. A significant proportion of the role will be the support and management of the University’s network devices and the fibre interconnects, proven working experience in this area will be important. The University is making a heavy investment in its buildings, involvement in the design and specification of IT infrastructure for new building projects is a key part of the role.
- Experience of installing and removing servers, network equipment and other devices.
- Infrastructure design and implementation, space allocation for equipment.
- A good understanding of electrics and power distribution, UPS and data centre cooling.
- Experience with Juniper/Cisco, switches, firewalls and other network components.
- Working knowledge of LAN, TCP/IP, DNS, and DHCP.
- Patching servers and network equipment.
- General Infrastructure experience - Active Directory, Windows Server.
- Experience monitoring an infrastructure and responding to events appropriately.
- Ability to develop and manage relationships with internal teams from Estates and contractors and suppliers maintaining and upgraded key components.
- A mechanical aptitude.
UWE Bristol Benefits:
- A generous holiday allowance of 27 days
- Up to 12.5 bank holiday/closure days per year in addition
- Flexible working
- Excellent defined benefit pension schemes
- Option to participate in the cycle to work scheme
- Family friendly policies
- Onsite nursery at our Frenchay Campus
- Option to purchase childcare vouchers
This post is based at our lively Frenchay campus where we have invested in the latest facilities and resources to give our students access to everything they need to succeed – with £300m being spent on new state-of-the-art learning spaces and accommodation between now and 2020 to enhance our offer even further. Frenchay campus is within close proximity to excellent motorway links and within walking distance of two train stations, making UWE Frenchay Campus the ideal place to work for those wishing to commute to Bristol.
UWE Bristol is an ambitious university. Together, our people are working hard to advance knowledge, inspire people and transform futures. We are looking for people with the skills and ambition to help us achieve those aims.
We are a well-established university, with over 27,000 students, 250,000 alumni and 3,000 staff. Students come to study with us from all over the UK, as well as from 140 different countries around the world, making this a diverse and interesting place to come and study.
Bristol itself is a hub of social and cultural activity. A place with a strong, creative and fiercely independent mindset. A city with a buzzing music scene, great restaurants and interesting business ventures. It’s not surprising Bristol is consistently named as one of the best places to live and work in the UK.