Computer Science,Computer Science,Software Engineering
Short info about job
Company: University of Reading
Department: Knowledge Transfer Centre
Salary: £23,000 to £30,000 per annum depending on qualifications and experience
Hours: Full Time
Contract type: Fixed-Term/Contract
Type / Role: Academic or Research
Phone: +44-1452 8312774
Fax: +44-1560 3358764
Detail information about job Firmware Engineer. Terms and conditions vacancy
An exciting 9 month project with the opportunity to secure a permanent role with the company at the end of the fixed term contract. A KTP collaboration between RedWave Labs and the University of Reading has developed a new generation of internet-enabled smart digital controllers to replace the company’s current range of analogue sensors and laser controllers.
The project now approaches the final stage of delivery and we are looking for someone to execute and deliver these key significant areas and objectives. Prototype products have been developed and tested however, further work is required to produce finalised production models and to develop new areas that the developed technology can be applied to across further areas of RedWave’s product range.
- Build custom drivers and controllers for dedicated RedWave hardware to enable communications with existing RedWave products.
- Implement power supply control algorithm for new product.
- Simulation of embedded hardware to confirm how new product will interact with external devices.
- Develop external interface for controlling product remotely.
A significant amount of work is involved in regression testing and simulation to verify the correct operation of the power supply for the new product.
What are we looking for?
- BSc/BTEC or equivalent in programming or electronic engineering.
- Keen interest in C or C++ software.
- Experience of programming Linux and/or YOCTO.
- Flair and excitement for business with an entrepreneurial approach.
- Proven good technical problem solving skills.
- Interest in manufacturing.
- Excellent communication skills.
Informal contact detailsContact role: Professor in BiosensorsContact name: Simon SherrattContact phone: 0118 378 8588Contact email: [email protected]
Alternative informal contact detailsContact role: Recruitment & Relationship ManagerContact name: Frances YoungContact phone: 0118 378 6142Contact email: [email protected]
Closing Date: 17/09/2017Interviews to be held the week commencing 02/10/2017
The University is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce and we welcome applications for job-share, part-time and flexible working arrangements which will be considered in line with business needs.