Senior Research Technician
Health and Medical,Anatomy, Physiology and Pathology,Biological Sciences,Microbiology,Biochemistry,Physical and Environmental Sciences,Chemistry
Short info about job
Company: University of Dundee
Department: Molecular and Clinical Medicine
Salary: Not specified
Hours: Full Time
Contract type: Fixed-Term/Contract
Type / Role: Academic or Research
Phone: +44-114 8632476
Fax: +44-1355 8455322
Detail information about job Senior Research Technician. Terms and conditions vacancy
Grade of Post: Grade 6 (Full-time)
Duration: 4 months
Salary: Salary Scale £25,728-£31,604 (max salary point for post £25,728)
To provide a comprehensive technical service for research within the Biomarker and Drug Analysis Core Facility within the Medical School. This includes analysis of soluble biomarkers, as well as drug compounds and metabolites for scientists in the Medical School and external collaborators. The Core Facility is equipped with four LC-MS systems to discover and validate biomarkers for disease diagnosis, prognosis, and patient stratification, and as an indication for drug toxicity and efficacy.
The knowledge in LC-MS/MS and solid phase extraction is essential. Previous hands-on experience in liquid chromatography, mass spectrometry and sample processing will be advantageous but not essential as training will be provided. Basic computer skills will also be an advantage.
- Responsible for a range of LC-MS/MS techniques including the extraction of protein from human samples.
- Separation of Small molecule biomarkers using solid/liquid phase extraction.
- Optimisation and tuning of LC-MS/MS and data analysis.
- Work safely with potential pathogenic micro-organisms from human samples.
- Oversee safe disposal of all materials (particularly biological, etc.)
- Be an expert in the use of specialised equipment.
- Ensure equipment/consumables required for all experiments are available.
- Place orders for consumables and equipment, ensuring compliance with University Procurement guidelines and systems.
- Liaise with the Core facility Manager on the selection of equipment and take responsibility for arranging the purchase of such items and coordinating safe disposal of equipment and record maintenance as required.
- Manage the Core Facility budget, control expenditure and monitor monthly financial reports.
- Full understanding and ensure implementation and adherence to Health & Safety regulations for safe working practices.
- Work has to be carried out to GCLP level.
The University of Dundee is a diverse community and is committed to equality of opportunity for all by providing a supportive, flexible and inclusive working environment. We have family friendly policies (including flexible working and childcare vouchers), staff groups for LGBT and BME; and prayer room facilities.
The University of Dundee has received the Athena SWAN Bronze Award (Athena Swan) which recognises the promotion of gender equality and has made further commitment to advancing inclusive culture which supports and encourages all under-represented groups.
The University of Dundee is a Scottish Registered Charity, No. SC015096.