Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Digital Media Methods
Media and Communications,Communication Studies,Media Studies
Short info about job
Company: The University of Sydney
Department: School of Literature, Art and Media, Department of Media and Communications
£51,651.60 to £70,098.60 converted salary* which includes leave loading and up to 17% super
Hours: Full Time
Contract type: Fixed-Term/Contract
Type / Role: Academic or Research
Phone: +44-1467 7609649
Fax: +44-1301 6593139
Detail information about job Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Digital Media Methods. Terms and conditions vacancy
Reference no. 1800/0817
- Join an organisation that encourages progressive thinking
- Be valued for your exceptional knowledge and experience
- Located at Camperdown Campus, full-time, 2 years fixed-term $84k- $114k (which includes leave loading and up to 17% super)
About the opportunityAs a leading media and communications department with a global profile, quality and breadth of research, and strong reputation for social impact and engagement, the Department of Media and Communications (MECO) wishes to appoint an outstanding postdoctoral researcher for a two-year fixed-term contract in the area of digital media methods, and broader area of digital humanities and social sciences.
About youWe are looking to appoint an outstanding Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Digital Media Methods who possesses:
- expertise in media and communications, and associated disciplines, with a particular focus on digital technology and emergent media and communication
- expertise in digital humanities and social sciences, especially digital media methods
- capability to code in relevant languages (such as R and Python).
You will help build the interdisciplinary field of digital technology, media, and culture research, and in particular the field of media and communication research at the University, and with interdisciplinary collaborators. You will;
- undertake high quality research on social, cultural, political, or other relevant area of digital technologies, utilising digital methods and digital HASS approaches
- undertake a specific digital methods-based research project in the area of everyday social media, digital rights and governance (as directed by supervisor)
- publish such work in leading outlets
- research, evaluate, and provide guidance to colleagues on developments in digital media methods and digital humanities and social sciences
- liaise with key researchers and capabilities at University of Sydney in data science and associated areas, especially in the Centre for Translational Data.
About usEstablished in 2000, MECO is a leading centre for teaching, research and public engagement in the rapidly changing media and communications environment. MECO is based in the School of Literature, Art and Media (SLAM), one of the five schools of the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (FASS). MECO has established an international reputation as a leader in digital media, technology, and culture research, and its researchers are at the forefront of interdisciplinary, cross-sectoral research initiatives, including the Faculty-funded Everyday Social Media research collaboration, and University’s Sydney Research Excellence Initiative (SREI)-funded Digital Rights and Governance in Australia and Asiaproject.
For more information on the position and University, please view the candidate information pack available from the job’s listing on the University of Sydney careers website.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number to apply.
Closing date: 11:30pm Sunday 1 October 2017
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.