Senior Strategic Planner
Work for a leading organisation to prepare your City for the future through influencing our planning scheme
Summary about this job
Policy, Planning & Regulation
Company: City of Melbourne
Work type: Full Time
Detail information about job Senior Strategic Planner. Terms and conditions vacancy
$106,988 + 9.5% Superannuation
Temporary to 30 June 2019
City of Melbourne is committed to supporting diversity, inclusion and flexibility. Applicants seeking flexible and part-time arrangements are encouraged to apply.
For more information on what it is like working with us at City of Melbourne please go to working with us at City of Melbourne
City of Melbourne recognises the value of the diversity and strength of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures to the heritage of all Australians and encourages Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to apply. You will be supported in your application via our Aboriginal Employment Team.
Our Urban Strategy Branch is seeking to engage a Senior Strategic Planner to join their team.
How this position will Make the Difference to City of Melbourne…Reporting to the Team Leader, Planning Policy, the Senior Strategic Planner provides strategic, creative urban planning thinking and expertise to areas of significant change in the city, contributing to strategies, structure plans, planning policy and projects that shape the city. The Senior Strategic Planner will translate visions, strategies and plans into formal planning policy, engaging proactively and expertly with established planning processes under the Melbourne Planning Scheme to ensure Council is in a strong position to leverage high quality place and development outcomes. The Senior Strategic Planner will also support city shaping strategic projects such as land use and infrastructure planning.
As a senior member of the team and branch, you will take a lead role in ensuring the work of the branch delivers high quality places and outcomes for people, adopts inventive, best practice and multi-disciplinary approaches to city change and is an advocate for the work of the branch and its role. You will manage end to end complex, multi-disciplinary cross-organisational projects and will lead project teams, along with managing an element of infrastructure planning. You will collaborate across the organisation to propose evidence-based planning policy to enable the delivery of a world class city, precincts, neighbourhoods and places into the future.
This role will work in collaboration with a range of internal and external stakeholders, therefore strong and effective communication skills are required as well as the ability to build influence, problem solve, negotiate and resolve. Planning expertise, project management and relationship and stakeholder management are core capabilities of this role.
You can bring… (Selection criteria)
- Ability to demonstrate and display City of Melbourne Values – accountability, integrity, courage, respect for self and others, and striving for excellence
- Relevant tertiary qualification and experience in the area of strategic urban planning or a closely related field such as urban design
- Demonstrated experience and ability in the development of planning schemes with preference for the Victorian system
- Demonstrated ability to lead cross-corporate and multi-organisational projects with proven skills and experience in policy and strategy development
- Exceptional problem-solving and strategic thinking capabilities with experience in developing creative and innovative solutions to complex problems and the ability to conceptualise future opportunities, scenarios and critically assess policy alternatives
- Outstanding project management skills in leading and participating in cross-corporate and multi-organisational projects including project planning, resource management and ensuring delivery of outcomes within budget and to agreed timeframes
- Comprehensive understanding of urban planning principles and processes and an understanding of the range of issues impinging upon capital city planning.
To view the physical requirements of this position, please see below under Position Information.
How to apply…
As part of the online application form you are required to:
- attach your resume
- attach a separate cover letter
- respond to the selection criteria, in a separate document (no more than two pages), as listed above under ‘You can bring…’
Please address your covering letter to Robyn Hellman, Team Leader Planning Policy
The position description for this role will not be provided at this stage of application.
The Advertised Close Date and other important information can be found on www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/careers.
City of Melbourne is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing a safe working environment that embraces and values child safety, diversity and inclusion.
If you have a disability and require advice and support during the recruitment process, we encourage you to apply or contact us on the details listed below.
Enquiries: Peolpe and Culture
Ph: (03) 9658 9140
Applications Close: 22/07/2018