Research Technician (Flow Cytometry)
Biological Sciences,Biology,Molecular Biology and Biophysics,Engineering and Technology,Biotechnology
Short info about job
Company: University of Dundee
Department: Centre for Advanced Scientific Technologies
Salary: £21,585 to £24,973 Grade 5
Hours: Full Time
Contract type: Fixed-Term/Contract
Type / Role: Academic or Research
Phone: +44-1264 9589935
Fax: +44-1452 5393981
Detail information about job Research Technician (Flow Cytometry). Terms and conditions vacancy
Flow Cytometry and Cell Sorting Facility
Applications are invited for the position of Research Technician to join the team in the Flow Cytometry and Cell Sorting Facility within the School of Life Sciences. The role will assist in delivering high quality flow cytometric analysis and cell sorting services to research groups within the School, other UoD departments and external bodies. This position would be suited to someone wishing to pursue a career as a technical specialist in an academic research environment.
Principle duties include:
- Assist in the smooth running of the facility, including instrument maintenance and calibration, trouble-shooting and fixing minor technical problems with the instrumentation and associated software.
- Responsible for maintaining lab stocks and placing orders.
- Operate the different types of flow cytometer analyser instruments within the facility, including all associated acquisition and data analysis software.
- Perform cell sorting duties on SH800 (Sony) and Influx (Becton Dickinson) cell sorters.
- Assist other staff members, including PhD students and post-doctoral researchers, in the use of the flow cytometers when required.
Summary of Skills, Experience and Qualifications:
- Good BSc. Hons degree in biological sciences or closely related subject.
- Experience in performing sterile technique in a laboratory setting.
- Some experience in the use of flow cytometers and/or other fluorescence based technologies.
- Good interpersonal skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to work as part of a team and adhere to demanding deadlines.
- A laboratory based post-graduate qualification and/or post-graduate laboratory experience.
- Previous experience working within a flow cytometry core facility or similar environment.
- Experience of performing fluorescence activated cell sorting.
The position is available immediately with funding available for two years.
Informal enquires should be directed to the facility manager (Rosie Clarke), tel: (01382) 385817, or e-mail [email protected]
The University of Dundee is a diverse community and is committed to equality of opportunity for all by providing a supportive, flexible and inclusive working environment. We have family friendly policies (including flexible working and childcare vouchers), staff groups for LGBT and BME; and prayer room facilities. The University of Dundee has received the Athena SWAN Bronze Award (Athena Swan) which recognises the promotion of gender equality and has made further commitment to advancing inclusive culture which supports and encourages all under-represented groups. The University of Dundee is a Scottish Registered Charity, No. SC015096.