Director of Sequencing and Sample Acquisition
Biological Sciences,Biology,Genetics,Microbiology,Molecular Biology and Biophysics,Biochemistry,Mathematics and Statistics,Statistics,Engineering and Technology,Biotechnology
Short info about job
Company: Genomics England
Department: Genomics England
Salary: Not specified
Hours: Full Time
Contract type: Permanent
Type / Role: Academic or Research
Phone: +44-1471 4580718
Fax: +44-1397 9430908
Detail information about job Director of Sequencing and Sample Acquisition. Terms and conditions vacancy
Paramount are working in partnership with Genomics England to expand their team in order to deliver success with the 100,000 Genomes Project. This is a challenging and fast moving project with the aim to carry out whole genome sequencing on 100,000 participants. Genomics England works with key partners to collect, transport, store, quality check and sequence the samples from participants. The aim for this project is to create a new genomic medicine service for the NHS – transforming the way people are cared for. Patients may be offered a diagnosis where there wasn’t one before. In time, there is the potential of new and more effective treatments.
Reporting to the COO, the Director of Sequencing will be accountable for all operational aspects of Genomics England’s Biorepository and Sequencing internally and across the delivery partners of Genomics England. This includes being responsible for increasing the number of samples that can be successfully sequenced and improving sample quality for sequencing by working with NHS hospitals and commercial partners. The post holder is Genomics England’s expert on sequencing technologies and provides high quality advice and actionable insight.
- Give expert advice to the organisation on all aspects of sample handling, quality control and sequencing.
- Develop and execute the relevant operational strategies
- Provide leadership for an operational team (direct leadership of a team of 6) responsible for the sample and sequencing pipeline
- Lead on experimental work particularly relating to cancer sequencing
- Drive sequencing pipeline quality and improvement
- Manage key relationships with suppliers and collaborators, actively maximising the opportunity for partnership and additional value
- Ensure production of insightful Management Information and analysis
- Ensure operational services are fit for purpose
- Act as Laboratory Director for the purpose of accreditation
- Assess new technologies and how they can be implemented in a high throughput sequencing environment
- Lead the setup of multi-omics analysis pipelines and provide expertise into their use.
- Work with key organisations such as UK NEQAS and the MHRA to provide expertise on clinical sequencing.
Essential and desirable skills:
Demonstrable expertise in the following areas:
- Whole genome sequencing protocol
- NGS workflow
- Sample quality control
- Hands on next generation sequencing
- sample collection, DNA extraction, library prep and sequencing
- High throughput operations in a clinical laboratory environment
- Clinical lab accreditation
- Successful track record of incorporating process engineering in running a high throughput genomic lab.
- Extensive leadership and people management skills
- Proven skills in project management and operational delivery
- High level communication and influencing skills
- Able to manage key suppliers and delivery partners to ensure shared objectives are delivered
- Self-starter and goal-oriented with ability to work within matrixed teams and independently. Must be able to manage multiple projects and operational delivery.
- Ability and desire to participate in strategic and operational decision making in relation to our services and products
- Action and results oriented. Takes ownership of important issues. Demonstrates persistence in the face of obstacles and achieves innovative solutions.
- Proven history of developing solutions with sustainable and scalable results.
- Self-motivated, highly organised, and meticulous in details.
- Exceptional analytical skills and proficiency with MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, and data analysis.
- Masters or PhD Degree or equivalent level experience/qualifications in a relevant subject
Please do not hesitate to contact Eugene McDaid at [email protected], or call +44 (0)121 616 3475 to discuss this opportunity further.