Physical and Environmental Sciences,Materials Science,Engineering and Technology,Mechanical Engineering
Short info about job
Company: Daido Metal
Salary: £26,000 to £28,000 per annum
Hours: Full Time
Contract type: Permanent
Type / Role: Academic or Research
Phone: +44-1502 7654144
Fax: +44-1233 7070495
Detail information about job R&D Engineer. Terms and conditions vacancy
Reporting to: Senior Materials Researcher
Hours of work: 8.00am – 4.30pm, Monday to Thursday, 8.00am – 1.20pm Friday. 37.50 hours/week.
Additional hours, including some weekend working or travel may be required to fully meet the responsibilities of this position.
Location: Our principal location is based at Ilminster, Somerset.
Key tasks & Responsibilities:
This role will involve the research and development of various materials and processing methods for use on plain bearings in internal combustion engines. These materials may be metallic or polymeric in nature and may be prepared by a number of different technologies.
The successful candidate will be responsible for general day-to-day support of department technical activities, including metallographic sample preparation, material analysis and investigation and reporting based on pre-determined methods, procedures and report template.
The role may be also required to support the implementation of established R&D processes into production, including prototype production and mass production.
- To support materials development for use on plain bearings in the automotive & industrial engine markets. Though the focus will be general material development it may focus specially on electroplated or chemically prepared materials depending on the business need. It will involve track of materials development, organize and conduct trials using suitable materials processing method and technology, design and optimize process conditions for property and process improvement and control, investigate material structures etc.
- To support department R&D activities by preparing metallographic samples, investigating and characterizing material properties using various microscopic, X-ray or other equipment based on pre-determined procedures.
- To support the implementation of established R&D processes into production, including both prototype production and mass production.
- To provide a timely, efficient and effective service to requests from other technical teams or departments within Daido Group to investigate customer/production bearings based on pre-determined methods, procedures and report template
- To generate written internal research reports on regular basis for distribution throughout the organization.
- To support other projects and programs within the R&D department when required.
Specific criteria required for this position:
- An engineering or science related degree preferably in the field of materials related disciplines
- Knowledge of materials processing technologies, methods and equipment, understanding of various material structures based on process method and conditions
- Knowledge of various materials analysis and characterization equipment and method, including microscopic, X-rays and mechanical means
- Previous practical work experience in material or chemical research would be a distinctive advantage
- Experience of planning, conducting and accurately recording experiments in a complex technical environment;
- Familiar with health and safety aspects of working in a laboratory with strong chemical awareness;
- Excellent presentation and technical report writing skills
- Self-motivated, attention to details and team player
- The ability to speak a second language (Japanese or European) would be advantageous but is not essential
- Willing to work in a diverse technical environment
- Training and skill development opportunities
- 26 days holiday per annum (allocated to fixed and flexible dates) plus 8 statutory bank holidays.
- Prudential Group Personal Pension Plan
- Critical Illness and Life Assurance
CV application to be submitted by post to Oliver Foster, HR, Daido Metal Europe Ltd, Winterhay Lane, Ilminster, Somerset, TA19 9PH or by email to [email protected]
Telephone: 01460 256243
Company information: https://www.daidometal.com/