Operational Applications Systems Analyst
IT,Property and Maintenance
Short info about job
Salary: Competitive with benefits, subject to skills and experience
Hours: Full Time
Contract type: Permanent
Type / Role: Professional or Managerial
Phone: +44-1283 2414764
Fax: +44-161 7082580
Detail information about job Operational Applications Systems Analyst. Terms and conditions vacancy
Reports to: Operational Applications Team Lead
This is a full-time, permanent position on Crick Terms and Conditions of Employment.
The Crick’s Information Technology and Services (IT&S) Operational Applications Team support the business and business management systems that underpin operational activities of the Institute in addition to experimental, theoretical and computational science to enable world- leading scientific research.
The role of the Operational Applications Systems Analyst is to support, optimise & maintain a range of IT systems. While being aware of all applications in the portfolio, the person will specialise and become the key point of contact and expert for Building Services, forging close working relationships key users, stakeholders and Third Party suppliers.
The delivery of IT for Crick is managed across two key areas: Core IT and Scientific Computing. This role will be in the Core IT function which delivers key activities across the areas of the IT Helpdesk and User Services, Operational Systems, Networks and Core Systems.
These include but are not limited to;
- Monitor and manage the day to day support of a suite of operational applications across all functional/operational areas focussing on one of the key areas of Finance, HR or Building Services & Logistics, becoming subject matter expert in these while still having a good awareness of all current issues and activities.
- Handling user queries from initial investigations and diagnosis through to incident resolution by providing work-arounds, reconfiguration, improved working practises, enhancements and training
- Support the configuration of applications, including basic customisation and workflows
- Build, configure and test integrations between applications
- Develop and maintain system and training documentation
- Provide advice and guidance to users in the effective use of applications, enabling them to get maximum benefit from the services available to them
- Proactively monitor applications to identify issues before they impact performance, taking immediate action where required
- Contribute to continuity of service including the impact of changes
- Work collaboratively with suppliers and the business to proactively identify and drive service improvement recommendations to minimise costs/improve service
- Measure/monitor service level achievements vs. targets
- Act as a routine contact point between the organisation and suppliers
The Francis Crick Institute is a biomedical discovery institute dedicated to understanding the fundamental biology underlying health and disease. Its work is helping to understand why disease develops and to translate discoveries into new ways to prevent, diagnose and treat illnesses such as cancer, heart disease, stroke, infections, and neurodegenerative diseases.
An independent organisation, its founding partners are the Medical Research Council (MRC), Cancer Research UK, Wellcome, UCL (University College London), Imperial College London and King’s College London.
The Crick was formed in 2015, and in 2016 it moved into a brand new state-of-the-art building in central London which brings together 1500 scientists and support staff working collaboratively across disciplines, making it the biggest biomedical research facility under a single roof in Europe.
The Francis Crick Institute will be world-class with a strong national role. Its distinctive vision for excellence includes commitments to collaboration; to developing emerging talent and exporting it the rest of the UK; to public engagement; and to helping turn discoveries into treatments as quickly as possible to improve lives and strengthen the economy.
Key Experience And Competencies
The post holder should embody and demonstrate our core Crick values: Bold, Imaginative, Open, Dynamic and Collegial, in addition to the following:
- Experience in identifying and driving improvements to services and support
- Previous experience of supporting and managing operational systems (Facilities Management, Asset Management, Finance, Procurement or Human Resources)
- Self-motivated with the ability to prioritise, meet deadlines, and manage changing priorities. Assess the business impact of their actions and escalate appropriately
- Experience of working with third party suppliers
- Experience in handling and prioritising incidents, requests and problems according to agreed procedures
- Skilled in investigating, coordinating and participating in the resolution of potential and actual service problems
- Ability to contribute to the planning and implementation of maintenance and installation work (including backups and storage)
- Previous experience of providing expert assistance and a high level of customer service
- Ability to support a set of live systems and customers, whilst at the same time running concurrent development projects
- Strong interpersonal skills and a demonstrable ability to build effective relationships at all levels
- Ability to adapt influencing styles to gain commitment of team and managers to achieve objectives
- Experience in Facilities Management and Logistics, ideally having experience with Planon and Spirit Data Capture systems.
- Ability to advise users on the correct and effective use of system software
- Good background knowledge in database design using Microsoft SQL, client server architecture, patching & upgrades
- Experience of working with cloud, hosted and in-house infrastructures, and integration across different systems
- Degree in Computer Science or equivalent qualifications
- Experience of configuring interfaces in xml, xhtml, flat-file and web-based
- Experience in developing installation procedures and standards, and scheduling installation work
- Good working knowledge in authentication products, including LDAP and Federated ID solutions Exposure to and experience using multiple methodologies, including PRINCE2 and ITIL
- Previous experience of working in a scientific research environment is desirable
Please note: all offers of employment are subject to successful security screening and continuous eligibility to work in the United Kingdom.Show all jobs for The Francis Crick Institute … Tweet