Hamilton Professorship in Computer Science
Computer Science,Computer Science
Short info about job
Salary: Not specified
Hours: Full Time
Contract type: Permanent
Type / Role: Academic or Research
Phone: +44-1453 8650604
Fax: +44-1297 3316467
Detail information about job Hamilton Professorship in Computer Science. Terms and conditions vacancy
Maynooth University is one of the four constituent universities of the National University of Ireland and in 2017 placed in the global top 50 universities under 50 years old in the Times Higher Education University Rankings. Formally established as an autonomous university in 1997, Maynooth University traces its origins to the foundation of the Royal College of St. Patrick in 1795, and draws on a heritage of more than 200 years of education and scholarship. It is located in the University town of Maynooth, 25km from the centre of Dublin, Ireland’s capital city.
The University is a modern institution - dynamic, research-led, engaged, and grounded in the traditions of liberal education. With more than 11,000 students, Maynooth is Ireland’s fastest-growing university, yet we retain a collegial campus culture that is central to our ability to bring significant interdisciplinary expertise to bear in tackling some of the most fundamental challenges facing society today.
Maynooth University is seeking to make a number of top level professorial appointments to strengthen its position as a significant international centre of research in the general domain of artificial intelligence, networks and communications.
The Hamilton Institute currently is host to a number of internationally recognised research teams, with strong links to a number of national research centres, and our objective is to further strengthen the institute and bolster the University’s reputation for interdisciplinary research and innovation in these areas. Hamilton Professors will be able to avail of dedicated research space and laboratories in a superb new €22M building completed in 2016, which also hosts research activities of the Departments of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering.
Maynooth University is committed to a strategy in which the primary University goals of excellent research and scholarship and outstanding education are interlinked and equally valued. Professors will be expected to provide significant intellectual leadership through demonstrated research excellence, a commitment to education, and an ability to provide effective leadership and management within the Institute and the University. The roles will be focussed on research for an initial period of three years.
Professors will normally be expected to take up the role of Institute Director at an appropriate time.
Applications will be welcomed from outstanding researchers with a background in Computer Science and a track record of high achievement in areas related to any of the following:
- Applied probability
- Computer vision
- Control theory
- Cybersecurity and privacy
- Data analytics
- Dependable software
- High performance mobile communications
- Information theory
- Mathematical or Systems Biology
- Machine learning
- Signal processing
- Wireless communications
A Professor of the University is expected to:
- Be an international leader in research and scholarship and contribute to the advancement of knowledge in the field;
- Provide leadership in research and scholarship within the Department, Faculty and University;
- Promote excellence in teaching and learning, and encourage innovation in teaching and learning amongst staff;
- Contribute to the teaching of undergraduate and postgraduate students, including lecturing, consultations with individual students, and supervision of research students;
- Contribute to the development of the curriculum and academic programmes within the discipline and more generally;
- Assume responsibilities for management and administrative tasks associated with the Department, Faculty and University;
- Be an active member of the University and contribute to the work of the University in outreach, collaboration, internationalisation, engagement and policy development.
Professors of the University are required to serve as Head of Department when requested to do so by the President.
Successful candidates will:
- Be recognised as a world-class researcher in a relevant area of Computer Science;
- Have a demonstrated capacity for strategic and dynamic leadership on an international stage;
- Have a successful track record in securing independent funding from public competitive sources and/or through private investment;
- Build collaborative partnerships within the University and with other national and international research centres;
- Be committed to supporting the educational mission of the university.
For further details including full comprehensive job description please see the Maynooth University vacancies page at: https://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/human-resources/vacanciesShow all jobs for Maynooth University, National University of Ireland Maynooth … Tweet