Associate/Assistant Professor in Engineering Design
Engineering and Technology,Mechanical Engineering,Production Engineering and Manufacturing,Other Engineering
Short info about job
Company: Technical University of Denmark
Department: DTU Mechanical Engineering
Salary: Not specified
Hours: Full Time
Contract type: Permanent
Type / Role: Academic or Research
Phone: +44-1526 9218048
Fax: +44-1280 7182006
Detail information about job Associate/Assistant Professor in Engineering Design. Terms and conditions vacancy
DTU, The Technical University of Denmark, Department of Mechanical Engineering seeks an Associate/Assistant Professor in “Engineering Design” for the section of Engineering Design and Product Development.
The research focus in the Engineering Design and Product Development section is improvement in efficiency and quality of product development processes as carried out in an industrial context. This is achieved through analysis of industrial development work and by developing and improving systematic methods that support design professionals and development groups. The research is currently organized around four areas: conceptualization, product-service systems, robust design and platform-based product development. The successful candidate will be expected to contribute to one of the abovementioned areas, but might also expect to contribute to other relevant areas such as collaborative design, design decision making, design creativity, design theory, mechatronic and/or cyber-physical systems design or the modelling and management of design processes.
Responsibilities and tasksThe candidate will be engaged in teaching and research on engineering design and product development, especially relating to design methods and tools for industrial design and product development, and associated design theory and research methodology. Candidates are expected to develop strong collaborative, innovative and multi-disciplinary research activities, and to contribute to the delivery, strengthening and development of teaching in engineering design and product development. Moreover, the successful candidate is expected to engage in fundraising and participate actively in externally funded projects.
Collaboration within the Department of Mechanical Engineering and other departments at DTU is expected – for example with the section for Manufacturing Engineering in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and a number of the sections of DTU Management Engineering
QualificationsCandidates for an
- Assistant Professorship must hold a PhD degree (or equivalent)
- Associate Professorship must hold a PhD degree (or equivalent) as well as academic qualifications equivalent to those obtained by holding an Assistant Professorship and should document didactic/pedagogic training.
- Expertise in engineering and product design methods and tools.
- Expertise in design theory and research methodology.
- Expertise in the product manufacturing approaches
- Experience of engineering design and product development activities and projects in an industrial context.
- Strong computational skills, especially in computer-aided design and computer-aided engineering tools
- Experience in development and management of scientific research projects
- Experience in successful application(s) for research grants
- Ability to work independently, to plan and carry out complicated tasks.
- Communication skills in English, both written and spoken. It is important to enhance the objective and technical/academic qualifications of the position
- Understanding of Industry 4.0 impact on engineering design and manufacturing
Application procedureTo apply, please read the full job advertisement at www.career.dtu.dk
Application deadline: 1 October 2017
DTU Mechanical Engineering covers the fundamental engineering disciplines within Solid mechanics, Fluid mechanics, Coastal and Maritime Engineering, Energy systems and energy conversion, Materials and Surface Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Engineering design and Product development. The department has a scientific staff of about 135 persons, 100 PhD students and a technical/administrative support staff of about 85 persons.
DTU is a technical university providing internationally leading research, education, innovation and scientific advice. Our staff of 5,800 advance science and technology to create innovative solutions that meet the demands of society; and our 10,600 students are being educated to address the technological challenges of the future. DTU is an independent academic university collaborating globally with business, industry, government, and public agencies.