Health and Medical,Medicine and Dentistry,Anatomy, Physiology and Pathology,Biological Sciences,Biology,Genetics,Molecular Biology and Biophysics
Short info about job
Company: The Pirbright Institute
Department: Virus (Viral Glycoproteins Group)
Salary: Band D, Up to £38,154
Hours: Full Time
Contract type: Permanent
Type / Role: Academic or Research
Phone: +44-1440 3148651
Fax: +44-1535 1400451
Detail information about job Postdoctoral Researcher. Terms and conditions vacancy
Reporting To: Group Leader Virus.Line Manager Responsibilities: NoMain Work Location: Pirbright, Surrey, GU24 0NF
Organisation position and purpose:
This post represents an excellent opportunity for a postdoctoral researcher to join the research group at The Pirbright Institute on an MRC-funded project studying the innate immune response to human respiratory syncytial virus (RSV). RSV causes a globally significant infection in children and the elderly, causing thousands of deaths per year; however, more in-depth research on the immune response to this virus is required in order to develop antivirals and vaccines.
This position is directly supported by a part-time technician post that will be available to assist the postdoctoral researcher with their project. The world-class facilities of The Pirbright Institute will allow the postdoctoral researcher to apply a range of techniques (proteomics/high-throughput quantifiable assays/ genetic screening) to this research question, generating high impact data of relevance to a broad range of stakeholders.
Main duties and responsibility
- Collect research data; focusing on the following aims:
- Identification of innate immune antagonists of RSV egress
- Characterization of RSV-infected cells.
- Examination of activated immune pathways in RSV-infected cells
- Analyze and interpret data as well as contributing to the development of new models, techniques and methods.
- Apply knowledge in a way which develops new intellectual understanding
- Decide in consultation with the principal investigator as appropriate, Liaise with external collaborators on the research, and where appropriate visit their research laboratories to conduct experiments.
- Disseminate research findings for publication, research seminars and conferences.
- Write articles for peer-reviewed academic journals deciding, in collaboration with co-authors, which aspects of the research findings.
- Contribute to writing bids for research funding, deciding what information to include and how to present the bid to maximize the likelihood of securing funding.
This job description is only an outline of the tasks, responsibilities and outcomes required of the role. The jobholder will carry out any other duties as may be reasonably required by his/her line manager. The job description and personal specification may be reviewed on an ongoing basis in accordance with the changing needs of The Pirbright Institute.
All employees shall actively participate in the Institute-wide quality assurance system in conjunction with the Institute’s Quality Manager. Employees are also expected to safeguard their own health and safety and security by following policies.
- A PhD in virology or immunology
- Track history of publishing scientific research
- Presenting data at conferences
- Knowledge of restriction factors and innate immunity to RNA viruses
- Experience working in a laboratory environment together with the associated molecular biology skills
- To deliver high impact research
- Contribute to organising of the research program.
- High level analytical capability and ability to communicate complex information clearly
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Fluency in relevant models, techniques or methods and ability to contribute to developing new ones
- To assess resource requirements and use resources effectively
- First author publications in relevant publications
- Supervisory experience of undergraduate or postgraduate students
- Experience with quantitative proteomics
- Experience with innate immunology research of RNA viruses
- Knowledge of recombinant virus technology
- Interest in high-throughput screening
- Evidence of networking skills with the ability to build effective collaborative relationships