Behaviour Support Worker / Teacher Aide Position- Full time
BeChange is searching for a dedicated and passionate person to join our team to support one of our 5 year old clients with ASD at school and home
Summary about this job
Teaching Aides & Special Needs
Work type: Full Time
Salary: $16.75 - $20.00
Detail information about job Behaviour Support Worker / Teacher Aide Position- Full time. Terms and conditions vacancy
About the business
BeChange provides behavioural services to hundreds of families and professionals around NZ. We are dedicated to providing high quality, professional and friendly services to NZ children and young people who have developmental disabilities, intellectual disabilities and/ or challenging behaviours.
About the role
We are calling this blended role a BSW (Behaviour Support Worker). You will be supporting the child daily within his school setting (acting as teacher aide) and then providing home support after school.
The client is 5 years old with an ASD diagnosis. He is full of fun and giggles. He loves to being outside jumping on his trampoline and playing at the park. He enjoys playing with trains and chatting about the world around him.
You will support the child daily at school at 9 - 3pm. You will be responsible for bringing the child home (a 5 minute drive) after school every day. Three days a week you will be expected to remain with the child until 4:30pm. During the school holidays you will support the child with holiday activities within the home and community setting. This role is requires you to work 35.5 hours a week.
You will be provided in-house training in the basics of Applied Behaviour Analysis and on-going supervision and support by a Program Supervisor (BCBA and Psychologist) throughout the duration of employment.
Nannying/home support part of the role includes bringing the child home from school, setting up a stimulating learning environment and activities daily to engage the child after school, and some light household duties related to the child (i.e., tidying up, dinner prep etc.).
School support/Teacher aide role includes following behaviour intervention plans developed by BeChange, shadowing the child in the classroom and during break times, taking behaviour and learning data, communicating accurate observations and information to the service provider (BeChange) and the school, attending team clinical meetings and contributing to the selection and teaching of learning goals for the child within the school setting.
Benefits and perks
- Free training in the basics of ABA
- On-going training and professional support (more than is provided through schools and other agencies in similar positions)
- Experience in applying behavioural interventions (great if going on for further study or work in field of psychology, education etc.)
- Opportunity to be part of a innovative and dedicated organisation
- Opportunity to make a real difference in the life of a child and family
Skills and experience
To be considered you must
- be available for a long term commitment (a minimum of one year required)
- have a full driver's license (essential)
- a safe and reliable car for transport to/from work and to/from the child's school
- be an individual who is passionate about working with children and families
- have direct experience working with children (at least one year of experience with references)
- have high energy and enthusiasm
- have a sense of humour
- be reliable
- have a genuine interest in child development, applied behaviour analysis, and/or psychology
You must be available
- Monday & Tuesday: 9:00am-3:30pm
- Wednesday – Friday: 9:00am – 4:30/5:00pm
- to start training in August
- We are somewhat flexible which days are the short days and which are the long days. At least 3 days a week need to be until 4:30/5:00pm.
Ideally you will have completed or be pursuing a qualification that is related to psychology or education.