Mission of our service is simple: to help the world find like job.

Australia is a popular destination for graduates looking for a working holiday, but the government also encourages applications to live and work from those who might be able to fill the country’s skills shortages.

Getting a job in Australia

Australia operates a fairly complicated visa system designed to bring skilled workers into the country. If you want to apply for a long-term job in the country, it will help matters if your experience and employment history match one of the eligible skilled occupations. These are occupations for which you don’t require sponsorship from an employer, state or territory government. Common disciplines sought include engineering, construction, medicine and the sciences. Applications are points tested on a number of criteria.

There are various other options available if you are nominated (sponsored) by an employer or a government agency. You can find out more on the Australian government’s Department of Home Affairs or just a JobssJob.com.

If you are considering work as part of a gap year or backpacking trip around Australia, you may find it easier to apply for a working holiday visa. These are available for those aged 18–30 and are processed relatively quickly, according to Australia’s Department of Home Affairs. It is common for backpackers to find work on farms gathering in the harvest during the appropriate season. More information can be found on the Australian government’s Department of Home Affairs website.

Work experience, internships and exchanges

There are a range of internship programmes available in Australia. You may wish to apply to companies directly and take part on a working holiday visa, or you may wish to go through an agency. Many will offer opportunities as part of a paid ‘package deal’ that could include accommodation, transport and visa assistance. Always check online to make sure that what you are signing up for is a legitimate scheme – try to speak to someone who has used the same organisation to arrange an internship to get their advice. Your careers service may be able to help with research and contacts. There are also a number of associations such as AIESEC and IAESTE which help those looking for work placements in specific areas of expertise.