Library Services and Information Management
Short info about job
Company: European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL)
Salary: Grade 4, 5 or 6; depending on qualification and experience
Hours: Full Time
Contract type: Fixed-Term/Contract
Type / Role: Professional or Managerial
Phone: +44-1547 6573638
Fax: +44-1467 1922851
Detail information about job Librarian. Terms and conditions vacancy
Contract Duration: 3 years
Job DescriptionThe European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) is one of the highest ranked scientific research organisations in the world. The Headquarters Laboratory is located in Heidelberg (Germany), with additional sites in Grenoble (France), Hamburg (Germany), Hinxton near Cambridge (UK), Monterotondo near Rome (Italy) and Barcelona (Spain).
The EMBL Szilard Library is an academic research library with a strong orientation in digital functions; it maintains a rich collection in the field of Life Sciences and serves the scientific community and the administrative staff of EMBL.
We are looking for a librarian to staff a team of two, who will be responsible for managing essential Library services and who will report to the Senior Librarian. The successful candidate’s main areas of accountability will be:
- Manage and organise the library area.
- Develop and organize the library (e- & print) collection.
- Assist users and deal with enquiries.
- Promote the library collection and services; develop and deliver library induction and training sessions (reference managers, literature DBs), etc.
- Support and promote the institutional Open Access Policy.
- Publication management and metadata curation (CRIS).
- Maintain and develop the library systems (Inmagic Genie, VUfind).
- Liaise with admin and scientific staff, external bodies and suppliers.
- Anticipate community needs and trends to improve library services.
- Contribute to the development of library and information strategic plans.
- Assist in other library related tasks as appointed
Qualifications and Experience
- The ideal candidate will have a degree in Library and Information science and/ or min. two years of experience in libraries or related environment.
- Cataloguing experience is necessary.
- Background in Life Sciences (esp. in molecular biology) will be considered an advantage.
- Experience in dealing with Open Access enquiries and promoting Open Science is desirable.
- Experience in (migration to, customization of) Open Source ILS (e.g Koha) will be considered an advantage.
- Working knowledge of English is necessary. Working knowledge of German will be considered an advantage
- Proactive, flexible and self-motivated.
- Team worker with good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Good organisational, planning and prioritisation skills, including the ability to work to deadlines and adapt to changing circumstances.
- Willingness to keep up to date with changes in the profession and technological advances.
Other Desirable Skills
- Strong IT skills (xml, php) will be considered an advantage or interest in developing such skills during employment.
Application InstructionsPlease apply online through www.embl.org/jobs
Additional InformationFor any questions regarding the position please contact Ioanna Ydraiou ([email protected]).Interviews to be held last week of September 2017 or 1st week of October 2017.
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family friendly working environment. The remuneration package comprise a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme, medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial support for relocation and installation, including your family. Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.