Development Operations Engineer
Short info about job
Company: European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL)
Salary: Grade 5 (monthly salary starting at £2,552 after tax).
Hours: Full Time
Contract type: Fixed-Term/Contract
Type / Role: Professional or Managerial
Phone: +44-1480 1770416
Fax: +44-1263 4836425
Detail information about job Development Operations Engineer. Terms and conditions vacancy
Contract Duration: 3 Years
For more information about pay and benefits click here
Job DescriptionWe are looking to recruit an enthusiastic, highly motivated DevOps Software Engineer to work in the EGA and Archive Infrastructure Team at the European Bioinformatics Institute (EBI) located on the Wellcome Trust Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK.
The European Genome-phenome Archive (EGA) is among the world’s premier archives for research-consented human genetic data. On behalf of data owners we securely archive and provide access to genetic data, frequently streaming over 100TB per day of custom-encrypted data streams to authorized researchers around the world via our data access API.
Working in this role you will:
- Make the most efficient use of DevOps technologies such as Docker, implement the right tool for the job when necessary;
- Maintain, improve, develop microservices to deliver cutting edge functionality as part of the EGA Data API;
- Contribute to an environment that enables our engineers to build, release, and operate their own microservices;
- Collaborate with our networking and infrastructure teams to maintain and administering our infrastructure to support consumer-facing REST APIs, backend business and data pipelines;
- Use best-in-class monitoring and self-healing techniques to efficiently scale with our data distribution demands;
- Participate in Global Alliance for Genomics and Health (GA4GH) efforts to standardise APIs and Tools to support bioinformatics applications and pipelines;
- Collaborate with ELIXIR Nodes across Europe;
- Work with, teach, and learn from a great team that is fun, devoted to personal growth, and committed to building something meaningful, lasting, and impactful.
At EMBL-EBI, we help scientists realise the potential of ‘big data’ in biology by enabling them to exploit complex information to make discoveries that benefit mankind. As part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), we are a non-profit, intergovernmental organisation funded by 22 member states and two associate member states and proud to be an equal-opportunity employer.
Qualifications and ExperienceWe are looking for software engineers who:
- Have a passion for solving difficult technical problems, from the network to the application stack
- Like to relentlessly automate everything and anything at scale
- Spend time trying to figure out how something works, not stopping with just knowing what it does
- Want to make real API and back-end systems faster, more reliable, more efficient
- Think outside the box to build systems that collect, instrument, analyze data and provide insights about the system
- Thrive on fast-paced projects, enjoy having broad and deep technical knowledge and are driven to iterate with new technologies.
You Must Have:
- BSc/MSc in Computer Science or equivalent degree;
- Intermediate to advanced level of coding expertise in one or more OOP languages (Java/J2EE preferred) and others such as Python, Ruby, Node.JS;
- Intermediate to advanced Spring (Boot) 1.4+ expertise;
- Solid experience with writing, understanding and enhancing algorithms, data structures, scripting, and software design practices;
- Experience with build & deploy technologies such as version control, Maven, Docker, Git;
- Strong experience in administering, debugging and tuning web apps and containers and related tech;
- Some understanding of UNIX/Linux system internals and tools for troubleshooting application stack dumps and networking;
- Experience in supporting cloud-based virtualization and platforms;