Polymer Synthesis Chemist
Physical and Environmental Sciences,Chemistry,Materials Science
Short info about job
Company: Ossila Limited
Salary: £20,000 to £25,000 per annum
Hours: Full Time
Contract type: Permanent
Type / Role: Academic or Research
Phone: +44-1499 7949127
Fax: +44-1477 6901855
Detail information about job Polymer Synthesis Chemist. Terms and conditions vacancy
Contract Type: Permanent (subject to 1-year probation)Starting Date: ASAP
Our vibrant team is currently seeking an enthusiastic, dedicated synthetic chemist to join us in providing semiconducting materials in the field of organic electronics (including OFETs, OPVs, perovskite solar cells). You will be tasked with identifying, sourcing, developing, and synthesising materials to grow Ossila’s materials catalogue. Your work environment will be a modern laboratory that is currently based in the University of Sheffield - with an immediate start.
The successful candidate will be given necessary training (including H&S and equipment training) with a standard induction at the start. Ideal candidates will be highly motivated and interested in working in a lab-based environment. The candidate is expected to have good knowledge of COSHH and MSDS safety procedures, polymer chemistry, and be experienced in handling chemicals. Experience synthesising low band-gap polymer semiconductor is highly desirable. This role involves a high degree of communication with customers/ colleagues, so excellent communication and interpersonal skills are essential.
Ossila is a high-tech, small business in the materials science industry. Based on-campus at the University of Sheffield, we provide a catalogue of cutting-edge components to researchers worldwide (mainly in the organic electronics and thin-film research community). We are undergoing rapid expansion, and are searching for talented people to help us grow. A career with Ossila means joining an exciting, dynamic enterprise and working in a growing tech-based environment.
Qualifications and Experiences
The role requires a BSc/MSc in polymer/synthetic chemistry or subject related to materials science, and siginificant experience with polymer research or in an industrial R&D role.
Relevant research experience is desirable, with at least one of the following:
- Low band-gap polymer semiconductor synthesis, especially aromatic carbon-carbon bond formation reactions
- Skilled at handling reactions with high-pressure inert gas cylinders and low-pressure high vacuums (Schlenk line technique)
- Soxhlet extraction for larger-scale chemical purifications
- Scale-up polymerisation reactions
- Conduct lab-based synthesis of polymer semiconductors.
- Characterisation of polymers with a variety of techniques, including UV-Vis, CV in-house and analysis of outsourced GPC, DSC and NMR.
- Record, analyse and document experimental procedures in detail.
- Scale-up synthesis of new products
- Engage with customers to deliver targeted solutions to their problems.
- Sourcing materials for product R&D
- A minimum of 1 year of experience with polymer research or in an industrial R&D role.
- Good knowledge of safe laboratory practices, including the understanding and writing of COSHH/MSDS forms.
- Willing to work in a laboratory environment with hands-on activities.
- Good knowledge on polymer chemistry and skills for lab-based research activities including synthesis, purification, and analysis.
- Able to write literature reviews, express ideas, and present results clearly.
- Willing to communicate and liaise with customers to understand their needs.
- Able to identify and establish supplier chains for Ossila’s business.
- Highly motivated to work independently and as part of an interdisciplinary team.
- Competent in MS Office and IT.
We are unable to sponsor Tier 2 Work Visas. To qualify for this position, you will need to already have full rights to work in the UK.
Please send a CV (including references) together with a cover letter to [email protected] Informal enquiries can also be made at this address.