Researcher (Cognitive Robotics)
Psychology,Mathematics and Statistics,Mathematics,Computer Science,Computer Science,Software Engineering,Information Systems,Artificial Intelligence
Short info about job
Company: Sheffield Hallam University
Department: The Cultural, Communication and Computing Research Institute (C3RI)
Salary: £26,052 to £32,004 (pro rata) dependent on experience.
Hours: Full Time
Contract type: Fixed-Term/Contract
Type / Role: Academic or Research
Phone: +44-1424 6471466
Fax: +44-1434 7160034
Detail information about job Researcher (Cognitive Robotics). Terms and conditions vacancy
Fixed-term for 12 months.
NUMBERS is a highly inter-disciplinary cutting-edge cognitive robotics research programme developed by Sheffield Robotics. Funded by EPSRC, this collaboration between Sheffield Hallam University, Plymouth University, and Stanford University (USA), with the support of the NVIDIA Corporation (USA), will utilise one of the most advanced child-like robotic platforms (the "iCub") to construct a novel artificial cognitive model of mathematical cognition by imitating human like learning approaches for developing number understanding.
You will contribute to the project by carrying out experiments with the iCub, including:
- Software development.
- Collecting and analysing data.
- Guaranteeing continuity of the robotic experiments.
You will also be an active member of the Sheffield Robotics team contributing to scientific publications and supporting exhibitions and demonstrations.
Experience of working with the iCub robotic platform would be an advantage, but is not essential as we can provide training. However, you will need:
- A range of research skills including data collection and analysis, report writing and publication (e.g. conference/journal papers, client reports, etc.).
- Either a doctorate (or be working towards one) or equivalent research experience in a relevant area.
- Sound knowledge of cognitive sciences and/or advanced computer programming.
- Good knowledge of relevant research methods and techniques and their application.
- Knowledge and experience of either:
- experimenting with robotic platforms (real or simulated), or;
- deep learning theory and applications.
This is an exciting opportunity to contribute to the development of the next generation of socially interactive robots capable of learning and mimicking advanced capabilities of human intelligence.
For non-EU applicants please be advised that due to a new minimum salary threshold of £30,000 per annum imposed by the UK Visas and Immigration we may not be able to offer a certificate of sponsorship for this job. The majority of our new employees normally start at the bottom the appropriate grade, although the chair of the appointment panel can recommend a higher starting salary taking into account things like relevant skills and experience.
Please quote job number: 033082
Closing date: 18/09/17 at 23.30pm.
To find out more about working at Sheffield Hallam University please visit http://www.shu.ac.uk/jobs.
To apply, or get more information about this post, please click on the apply button below.