Biological Sciences,Biology,Computer Science,Computer Science,Software Engineering,Information Systems
Short info about job
Company: European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL)
Salary: Grade 5 or 6 (monthly salary starting at £2,552 or £2,856 after tax).
Hours: Full Time
Contract type: Fixed-Term/Contract
Type / Role: Academic or Research
Phone: +44-1350 2536163
Fax: +44-116 5940551
Detail information about job Data Scientist. Terms and conditions vacancy
Contract Duration: 3 years
For more information about pay and benefits click here
Job DescriptionWe are seeking to recruit a data scientist for Europe PMC, joining the Literature Services Team at the European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI) located on the Wellcome Trust Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK.
Europe PMC is the database of life sciences abstracts and full text articles that incorporates both PubMed and PMC content. Europe PMC is free to use, is updated daily (currently holding over 30 million abstracts and 4.2 million full text articles), and is supported by 27 funders of life sciences research. In addition to providing powerful search and retrieval mechanisms for the content, we also collaborate with many organisations to integrate the articles with ORCIDs, supporting data, funding information and other resources that provide relevant information for our users. Finally, we engage with the text mining community to maximise exposure and reuse of their work to improve search and browse systems.
We are seeking a data scientist to help us ensure data quality across all of our services, and though analysis of those data, recognise trends in scientific publishing, emerging standards and user behaviour patterns. We need to ensure that we are responsive to innovations in publishing, both scientific and technical, wish to extend our collaboration network, and improve services for our users. We are therefore looking for a versatile data scientist to elicit stories from the data in Europe PMC and translate these insights into potential actions. As well as having the technical skills to manipulate large datasets, you will need to have a curiosity-driven mode of operation and a desire to share the insights discovered with both the technical team, in order to improve the user experience, and colleagues more broadly in the field, in order to extend collaborative activities.
Specific job responsibilities include:
- Make recommendations on data management, quality improvements, or development opportunities to the technical team
- Provide analytics on incoming content regarding the uptake and implementation of new publishing trends and standards e.g. data citation
- Large-scale analysis on article content, combined with additional data such as ORCIDs, supporting datasets and so on.
- With our user research team, provide analytics and insights on user behaviour on the website
- Outreach to aligned projects and resources in the scholarly communications ecosystem
- Represent Europe PMC at workshops and meetings, as appropriate
At EMBL-EBI, we help scientists realise the potential of ‘big data’ in biology by enabling them to exploit complex information to make discoveries that benefit mankind. Working for EMBL-EBI gives you an opportunity to apply your skills and energy for the greater good.
Qualifications and ExperienceThe successful candidate should demonstrate some or most of the following:
- PhD in computer science, data mining, text analytics, bioinformatics or similar experience from previous employment
- Technical ability e.g. Perl, R, python, advanced Excel, XML/XSLT manipulations;
- Domain knowledge of the publishing industry and related cutting edge developments
- Curiosity-driven approach to analysis
- Ability to present results clearly, both verbally and in writing
- Team player