Research Technician – Birmingham Centre for Energy Storage (BCES)
Physical and Environmental Sciences,Chemistry,Property and Maintenance
Short info about job
Company: University of Birmingham
Department: School of Chemical Engineering
Salary: £26,052 to £32,004 a year
Hours: Full Time
Contract type: Permanent
Type / Role: Academic or Research
Phone: +44-1462 6323150
Fax: +44-1436 2568847
Detail information about job Research Technician – Birmingham Centre for Energy Storage (BCES). Terms and conditions vacancy
Applications are invited for the position of Research Technician in the Birmingham Centre for Energy Storage in the School of Chemical Engineering at the University of Birmingham. This position is open to candidates with experience in working in a research laboratory.
The post holder will be responsible for the daily management of the laboratory facilities for the Birmingham Centre for Energy Storage (BCES), Thermal Energy Research Accelerator (T-ERA). The post holder will provide direct support to the research activities of the groups working within the Centre. This will include designing, developing, assembling and maintaining laboratory scale and semi-technique scale apparatus according to research needs related to thermal and cryogenic energy storage. The post holder along with two junior technicians will manage and support a variety of scientific instruments for Rheological Analysis, Thermal Properties Analysis, and Particle Surface measurements, Measurements of Sample Wavelengths, Varying Temperature Environmental Testing and Mechanical Production of Material.
The post holder will implement and monitor the compliance of Health and Safety, Estates and laboratory housekeeping matters related to the laboratories. You will be supporting the management of junior technical staff by monitoring and advising where appropriate, basic housekeeping, Infrastructure and Health and Safety matters. The post holder will be required to establish an effective working relationship with Academic leads within the Centre that will have input to the post holder in order to ensure day to day activities are managed in the most efficient manner.
The School is strongly committed to promoting equality and diversity, including the Athena SWAN charter for gender equality in higher education and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates.
- Educated in a science or engineering subjects to degree level or equivalent experience
- GCSE (A*- C) or equivalent in mathematics and English
- Experience of practical and theoretical chemical knowledge of a range of analytical techniques and instrumentation
- Experience of using and optimising Computer-controlled instrumentation
- Preparation of data for presentations and reporting
- Experience of designing, contracting and modifying of experimental apparatus
- Experience of hands-on experimental work
- Experience of Method development
- Experience of using specialist scientific software to include CAD and Labview
Essential Skills and qualities
- Proven ability in managing research laboratory facilities
- Full understanding of H&S legislation
- Effective communicator with the ability to persuade, negotiate with and influence others
- Ability to instruct and demonstrate analytical techniques to staff and students
- A willingness to travel to and work at other research establishments as required.
- Strong IT Skills, with the ability to understand and interrogate data relating to research grant expenditure
Informal enquiries can be made to Mala Patel; [email protected]
To download the details of this position and submit an electronic application online please click on the Apply Online button below, please quote Job Ref 52286 in all enquiries.
Valuing excellence, sustaining investment