Employability and Placement Officer
Short info about job
Company: University of Kent
Department: School of Biosciences
Salary: £27,285 to £31,604 per annum.
Hours: Full Time
Contract type: Permanent
Type / Role: Professional or Managerial
Phone: +44-1288 2596038
Fax: +44-1372 9694030
Detail information about job Employability and Placement Officer. Terms and conditions vacancy
Are you pro-active and enjoy working on your own initiative, with experience of working closely with students? Are you driven by the success of creating and developing contacts to identify and develop placement opportunities in the public, private and third sector? This could be the ideal role for you!
Working within the senior administration team this role will manage development and administration of our placement programmes (including short vacation and full year placements) seeking to expand our placement provision and the wider employability skills programme for all undergraduate and postgraduate students.
The role holder will identify and develop placement opportunities in the public, private and third sector, provide training and support to students in all aspects of the programme related to finding and preparing for placements from identifying suitable opportunities through the applications processes to securing a placement and monitor students on placement and year abroad.
As an Employability and Placement Officer you will:
- Manage the creation and delivery of extra-curricular course content to support undergraduate and postgraduate students in developing key skills – particularly employability, CV development and interview skill development.
- Organise employability events to involve alumni, external providers and central University departments.
- Follow up leads from academic staff and other contacts to develop and nurture relationships with organisations who may deliver placement opportunities; including visiting companies offering (or with the potential to offer) placements and acting as the face of the School and of the University in order to build relationships and develop placement opportunities.
To succeed in this role you will:
- Be Educated to degree level or above or the equivalent with GCSE in English and Maths or the equivalent.
- Have substantial proven experience in a student support role and experience of working within the HE Sector or with student placements in industry / commerce.
- Experience in developing and exploiting networks of contacts.
The School of Biosciences is a part of the University’s Faculty of Science, and teaches undergraduate degree programmes in Biochemistry, Biology and Biomedical Sciences. Research projects are also undertaken in the same disciplines. The laboratory research interests of the School include:
- Protein Science
- Molecular Microbiology
- Biomolecular Medicine
- Genome Evolution
For further details, please visit: www.kent.ac.uk/bio/
It’s an exciting time to be working at the University of Kent – we are a leading UK university producing world-class research and excellent teaching. Our reputation as a good place to work is reflected in our top ranking in the THE Best University Workplace Survey for two years running. We are a major employer with around 3,000 staff from over 120 countries, including more than 900 academic and research staff, and a full range of commercial services and administration staff.
Interviews are to be held: 27 September 2017
Please press the apply button below to go to the university's website where you can view the full job description and also apply for this post. If you require further information regarding the application process please contact The Resourcing Team on [email protected] quoting ref number: STM0829.
Please note - applications must be made via the University’s online application system. CVs or details sent directly to the department or via email cannot be considered.